June 24th, 3rd Day of Alaska Trip
Dang! Bad News first -- The Three Musketeers is down to just two now! This Alaska trip was all James’ idea – He originally intended to ride alone, but Leroy and I piggybacked on his swell idea. He spent a tremendous amount of time and effort planning, preparing, counting the weeks, days, hours before blastoff. What a bummer when he woke up at 4am this morning, popped some more Ibuprofen, and announced that he was packing it up and heading for home! It all started with a knee injury that occurred a few weeks prior to the trip. It hurt, but he braved up and acted like it didn’t hurt all THAT much – This was the first day… By the second day of the trip, he could barely climb stairs. We were concerned about him going back alone, but he has been taking care of himself for a loooong time and insisted that we continue our trip as planned. Leroy and I will miss him sorely and wish him a speedy recovery. Heal up James muy pronto, or we’ll have to mount you a sidecar! The only problem now is that Leroy will have to listen to all my crappy jokes – So, who’s sorry now?!!?
The Good News is that Leroy and I are still going! After having breakfast with James, Leroy and I threw a leg over and kicked it in gear, heading out for Utah and Wyoming. After the turd floater that we had yesterday, it was great to ride under clear blue skies again. Leroy loves to ride fast in the twisties, he is real good at it. Leroy could also choose to drop me like a bad habit, leaving me caked in dust, but he just doesn’t choose it. So, I know that he is only being polite by offering to let me ride point. BTW, it ain’t my bike’s fault! I am sure the Wing is a far better twisty carver in more capable hands “…I Try Well…!” or at least try to know my limits. Not long after crossing the Colorado/Utah border we rolled past Dinosaur National Monument. I snapped this Big Fella (attached pic) as undeniable proof these creatures still do indeed roam the earth in Dinosaur Valley! Next point of interest was lunch at some desolate Recreation Area with pesky flies and gnats o’ plenty. I yellered my maps with Leroy’s Hi-Vis marker as we planned our next destinations. Soon after crossing the Wyoming border, we rode past Flaming Gorge Rec. Area, as neither of us particularly wanted to make a stop in the mid-day heat. BTW, you know that you are really out there in the boonies when you start seeing lots of pronghorn antelope and little else. Final resting place for the nite was a sleepy little two stoplight town that we never exactly figured out how to pronounce its name – Kemmerer? Recommended restaurant was Bushwhackers, where I got my burger and fries for FREE cuz it took them so damn long to make it! Final count for the day stood at 370 miles.
Dang! Bad News first -- The Three Musketeers is down to just two now! This Alaska trip was all James’ idea – He originally intended to ride alone, but Leroy and I piggybacked on his swell idea. He spent a tremendous amount of time and effort planning, preparing, counting the weeks, days, hours before blastoff. What a bummer when he woke up at 4am this morning, popped some more Ibuprofen, and announced that he was packing it up and heading for home! It all started with a knee injury that occurred a few weeks prior to the trip. It hurt, but he braved up and acted like it didn’t hurt all THAT much – This was the first day… By the second day of the trip, he could barely climb stairs. We were concerned about him going back alone, but he has been taking care of himself for a loooong time and insisted that we continue our trip as planned. Leroy and I will miss him sorely and wish him a speedy recovery. Heal up James muy pronto, or we’ll have to mount you a sidecar! The only problem now is that Leroy will have to listen to all my crappy jokes – So, who’s sorry now?!!?
The Good News is that Leroy and I are still going! After having breakfast with James, Leroy and I threw a leg over and kicked it in gear, heading out for Utah and Wyoming. After the turd floater that we had yesterday, it was great to ride under clear blue skies again. Leroy loves to ride fast in the twisties, he is real good at it. Leroy could also choose to drop me like a bad habit, leaving me caked in dust, but he just doesn’t choose it. So, I know that he is only being polite by offering to let me ride point. BTW, it ain’t my bike’s fault! I am sure the Wing is a far better twisty carver in more capable hands “…I Try Well…!” or at least try to know my limits. Not long after crossing the Colorado/Utah border we rolled past Dinosaur National Monument. I snapped this Big Fella (attached pic) as undeniable proof these creatures still do indeed roam the earth in Dinosaur Valley! Next point of interest was lunch at some desolate Recreation Area with pesky flies and gnats o’ plenty. I yellered my maps with Leroy’s Hi-Vis marker as we planned our next destinations. Soon after crossing the Wyoming border, we rode past Flaming Gorge Rec. Area, as neither of us particularly wanted to make a stop in the mid-day heat. BTW, you know that you are really out there in the boonies when you start seeing lots of pronghorn antelope and little else. Final resting place for the nite was a sleepy little two stoplight town that we never exactly figured out how to pronounce its name – Kemmerer? Recommended restaurant was Bushwhackers, where I got my burger and fries for FREE cuz it took them so damn long to make it! Final count for the day stood at 370 miles.