Thursday, February 25, 2010
Feb 25, Ft. Davis, TX
Albert and I spent the night with Leroy in Kerrville so we could get an early start on the morning. As we warmed up the bikes the temperature had risen from 32 degrees to 40 as we headed over to the coffee shop, meeting place, gas station all in one. Leroy was sitting there on his spanking new BMW, everyone else was riding their BMW's and there I was outclassed on my KLR650. So before we took off, I mentioned to Glen to not wait up for me, since I figured they would be riding close to the posted 80mph speed limit and I was more comfortable at 70-75mph. As it turned out, when we stopped for gas, Albert and I were only a couple of minutes apart from the rest of the gang. The head wind really started kicking up as a front came through and I was Wide Open Throttle all the way from Ozona to Balmorea just trying to maintain 70mph. Rufus and Albert let me draft off of them a bit and that sure helped. The interstate was pretty boring riding for 5 hours until we turned south on 17 for the last 22 miles into Ft. Davis. We got into more curvy roads, mountains, and interesting rock mounds scattered about. There is some cool stuff to see and do here in Ft. Davis, like the Observatory, historic Ft. Davis, Museum, Scenic Loop, etc. Mebbe we can take in some of the town tomorrow. We will be staying in Lajitas tomorrow night south of here just this side of the border. Total miles traveled 349