Friday, December 4, 2009
Dec 4th - Day 4 Mexico Trip
We left Zacatecas around 8:30am with our bellies full of the complimentary breakfast offered at the City Express Hotel. This was a very nice place to stay that catered to professionals, so everything was top shelf -- Big rooms, Internet, lounge, spa, gym, pool, but no restaurant... Maybe next time we stay there they will put one in for us. Back to the road, we rode a nice moderate pace and enjoyed the scenery on the way to San Miquel de Allende. Along the way, there were several nice towns that we rode through; Villa Hidalgo, Los Pinos, Ojuelos de Jalisco (beautiful church here), Ocampo, San Felipe, Delores Hidalgo, and finally San Miquel de Allende. The morning was chilly at elevations between 7000-8000 feet (ice on the bikes this morning). Just a side note, there are a LOT of dogs running around, both in the country and in the cities. Most look opportunistic and starving. We get chased sometimes and I wonder what those dogs are gonna do if they ever catch one of us! Anyway, I saw a dog walking down the side of the road with a big pickle jar stuck over his head. It was definitely a double take and I wished I had a chance to get my camera out before rolling on past. San Miquel is a large city built like a maze and Priscilla was amazing at being able to guide us to the Posada De La Aldea Hotel. This is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in so far. I included some pics... Distance traveled 221 miles, max elevation 8181.