Places that I have Motorbiked in United States and Canada

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 14 Day 23 Alaska Trip

“…After this, there is no turning back… You take the Blue Pill, you will awaken in your bed. You take the Red Pill, you stay in Wonderland and I will show you how deep the Rabbit Hole goes…” -- Morpheus (Matrix)
It is in our nature to seek what lies beyond the next hill. That is what I like about Road Trips. …All that Unknowing Adventure, just waiting there. It is kinda like getting pressies when it isn’t even your Birthday! Today unfolded as Leroy promised, once outta Dawson City, the road turned to pavement pretty much the whole way to WhiteHorse, YT. Straddled by the Yukon River on one side and mountains on the other, the road followed the topography of the land between these natural barriers. We spied a lynx, the first one on the trip, a fox, and a couple of elk along the way. We called ahead a few days ago while in Anchorage to make sure the motorcycle shop in WhiteHorse had a tire to fit Leroy’s BMW - They had seven! We pulled into their parking lot and Leroy pulled the rear wheel off the BMW and had their service department change it out with fresh rubber. Everyone here calls the type of pavement used in Canada and Alaska “seal coat”. It is twice as abrasive as the roads in the lower 48. I had new tires put on the Wing just for the trip, same as Leroy, but I’m hoping that my tires will last until I get home okay. Final Destination WhiteHorse, Canada; distance traveled 332 miles (or 534km, since it sounds better and we are in Canada, after all!)