Places that I have Motorbiked in United States and Canada

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1st, Day 10 Alaska Trip

A bit of fog for starters leaving Watson Lake, then the fog lifted and it turned out to be a beautiful day. We will be leaving Canada behind and meeting Leroy's son and family in Skagway, Alaska. This is a popular cruise ship destination. Leroy and I were shocked to be in a town with so many people! Three cruise ships were already docked and the touristy town was packed. We found a hotel off Main Street and walked around downtown window shopping, stopping for beer and burgers at a local Brew Pub. Dessert was at the ice cream shop, then back to our hotel before the chill set in. Our spot tracker wasn't turned on today and some of our friends were trying to call Leroy to see if everything was okay. We are very sorry if any of you were worried about us – everything is just fine and we had a very nice ride today. BTW, I forgot to relate this little bedtime story to you yesterday, so here goes! Our server at the restaurant yesterday was a really young Canadian girl… I swear, she had bigger bumps on her face than her chest! Anyway, I asked her kindly if she would explain to me the significance of Canada Day (July 1st). She gave me this far away look, kinda like a cow gazing at a passing train. …She was Clueless! If you hate kids like I do, it’s just more proof that all kids are complete idiots. From what I surmised, Canada Day is similar to the 4th of July back in the States. All the Provinces/Territories talked it up amongst themselves and decided they would start their own country. They would make up a flag with a maple leaf on it and everyhing. There was some back alley discussion about those Frenchy Quebecans, but they finally got to join in as well. That day forward was known as Canada Day. So, I raise my glass and give Toast to our Brethren of the North: “Here's to you and here's to me, and I hope we never disagree. But, if that should ever be, to HELL with you, here's to ME”! Hey, we are back in the States – Yahooie!!! Destination Skagway, Alaska – Miles traveled 326.